Monday, December 19, 2005

Time to Argue

Mikhael,

Another year has passed, and it's time for our annual argument about the midwinter gathering. Assuming, of course, that you and yours are available for it; I know how busy the politicking has kept you.

Not that it's been much different for me, truth be told. The small town that's grown up around the keep and the garrison is, as it seems to be every year, a bit larger, but also a bit more self-sustaining. Harvest was good this year, and no trouble was had with taxation. There have been a few minor dustups, and a handful of times I've had to intervene directly, but after twenty years we seem to be at least somewhat peaceful up here. Fewer troubles with brigands of any race, in any event, and regular patrols seem to have driven off the most dangerous of the local monstrosities.

Dmitri is taking to leadership with much more grace and wisdom than I think I've ever had. I don't know what he learned in Sigil, but it seems to have been good for him; he was always quiet and thoughtful, but he now carries himself with a confidence I don't think I ever saw in him as a child.

I still have had no word from Anya; Tatianna tells me not to worry, that it's the way of her people for a child to leave and never return. I tell her that I can't help worrying. Their birthday was not that long ago; at twenty she should certainly be able to take care of herself, and I know I taught her what I could.

The triplets are doing well. None of them have shown any more or less inclination toward adventuring; I think Anais may take up magical research or alchemy however, given that she's more-or-less taken over my laboratory (I've not had much time to spend in there). Her brothers haven't shown any particular inclination to any path or trade other than being underfoot, at least lately. Galen went through a phase where I thought about sending him to Brandon and his dwarves to get training as an architect; he may still want to do that. Tamsen, on the other hand, I frequently think about sending to you. He's a politically-minded child and strong-willed (no idea where he gets that from). I dread the next couple of years, and his entry into his teens.

Who would have thought I'd look back on adventuring - or even on my current duties as border lord - as a relief from parenthood?

In any event. Would you like to start the argument this year, or shall I?

Do catch me up on your doings, and your family's.

Nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home